Regulations and Governance
Why do we operate the way we do
Housing Co-operatives are highly regulated organisations.
On 1 January 2005, amendments to the Housing Act 1983 introduced a new system of regulation for non-government rental housing agencies. The legislation established a Registrar of Housing Agencies as the body to be responsible for this regulatory system.
NGRHC abides by the Performance Standards set down by the Registrar of Housing Agencies (Housing Registrar) and by the terms of the General Lease with the Department of Health and Human Services.
Performance standards (Registrar of Housing Agencies)
The performance standards represent the standard of operation required of registered housing agencies while registered under the provisions of the Housing Act 1983 (the Act). Agencies should note that compliance at all times with standards, and indicators that apply within them, is mandatory. It is the responsibility of the agency to provide, when requested, supporting evidence to show standards have been met.
NGRHC is required to report on the following standards:
- Tenant and housing services. The registered agency is fair, transparent and responsive in delivering housing assistance to tenants, residents and other clients.
- Housing assets. The registered agency manages its assets in a manner that ensures suitable properties are available now and into the future.
- Community engagement. The registered agency works in partnership with relevant organisations to promote community housing and to contribute to socially inclusive communities.
- Governance. The registered agency is well governed to support the aims and intended outcomes of its business.
- Probity. The registered agency maintains high standards of probity relating to the business of the provider.
- Management. The registered agency manages its resources to achieve the intended outcomes of its business in a cost effective manner.
- Financial viability. The registered agency is financially viable at all times.
Download the Performance Standards publication from the link below.